Friday, December 23, 2005

8th Street revisited


8th Street revisited, originally uploaded by Box of Light.

S'more neighbors of mine when I lived in Allentown, PA this summer for internship number 1

I excitedly accepted the internship and found an apartment in a rowhouse before I'd even been to Allentown... let alone Pennsylvania. When i told people at work that i lived downtown, they gasped. one by one.
Living downtown wasn't bad, non-downtowners (mostly white) were just caught up with the their newspaper headlines of mounting murders in that area and the recent influx of Puerto Rican immigrants.
It pained me to have outsiders look down on the downtown neighborhoods and I became defensive. They were just missing out on the spice of it.

Photo by Kendrick Brinson, Baltimore - USA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi