Thursday, November 17, 2005

Boy, urchin, rogue...


Boy, urchin, rogue..., originally uploaded by carf.

“Look at me here. I am thirteen years old. I don’t have a father. I don’t have a homelike house, I am hungry, I don’t know a mother’s love, I sleep on the streets, under the bridge, in cellars and gardens, I get cold, I tried to sell newspapers and nobody bought them; I tried cleaning car windscreens and they told me to piss off; I tried selling knickknacks and almost nobody bought them.
So that you take notice of my existence, I am knocking you over, assaulting you and taking from you the only thing in life that you believe is important: your money. Who knows, maybe then you will remember that half a million children like me don’t have a decent house to sleep a decent child’s sleep...”


- From the text “Menino, Moleque, Malandro” in José Fernandes de Oliveira’s book “A Geração Insatisfeita”, published by Edições Paulinas in 1991.

See the following slide shows:

Abandoned in Brazil

The Streets are my Home

Roney & Claudiney, two street kids.

Home, Street Home

Photo by Gregory J. Smith - CARF, São Paulo - BRAZIL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi